Monday, September 11, 2006

Eulogy by Kinnery Naik (Cousin)

When I think of Neeraj I can't help but smile, actually, oftentimes I even find myself chuckling. He was just that type of person, the contagious type that you couldn't shake off. You engage in a conversation with him once and you're hooked. Whether you were impressed by his intelligence or his broad range of interests or if it's because he made you laugh at his silliness or because you had a friendly argument with him and he just wouldn't let you have the last word. Arguing with Neeraj was like trying to climbing a mountain, you think you're almost there, it's almost over, and then he comes up something and you wonder where he came up with it!

He could talk about art, politics, the environment, biology, economics, and the list goes on and on. He could feel at home with the people in his village in India, the folks in Mumbai, and his friends and family in the US, a 5 year old, or an 80 year old. He was a social chameleon, and an eloquent one at that. But the thing about Neeraj was that he made everyone feel so special, like they had all his attention, people became addicted to him. The love and energy radiated around him. In the past two days, I can't tell you how many strangers I have met that said "I was very close to Neeraj" I know they're telling the truth because Neeraj had created an immense family around him and held all of them very close to his heart. He called me his sister, not just his cousin, and that meant the world to me. In the same way, I'm sure there was something that Neeraj did for almost every one of you that made you stop and think, "wow, I wish I could have that effect on people." The number of people that have been giving so selflessly over the last few days is a true reflection of how wonderful it was to have known Neeraj, my dear little brother.

At the age of 24 Neeraj had accomplished so much, a retired man would be jealous. His own home, a successful career, an amazing wife, and incredible involvement in his community. Nikola and Neeraj were so lucky to have found each other. I remember the 1st I met Nikola, I called Neeraj up and told him that I thought he was done searching, she was the one I wanted. On top of that he was the favorite of our family, the jokester who could make anyone laugh. At his young age, he had already made his mark in the world and I know that there was so much more to come. Neeraj's life was always in fast-forward, at the age of 5 he impressed his uncle by acting as a savvy tour guide in Mumbai, a city that even residents can't handle with the swift confidence that he was able to. Don't get me wrong, he was a terror as a child, but a fun one. I'm sure there were times mama and mami wanted to pull their hair out but in the end he was perfect. Leaving only good memories behind.

He definitely was one of a kind. There were some things he did that just made you wonder. He once used my towels and didn't approve and all of a sudden I found my towels soaking in boiling salt water. He said I had problematic towels and he was fixing them. Or the time I found all my pillows in the dryer, didn't even ask. All the times he asked if his chest looked good in this shirt. Then there was his expensive bottle of salt water spray that gave him the beach hair look. If any of you went into his bathroom, and saw his counter then you know where I'm going with this. He liked to take care of himself in the same way to took care of those around him. He was the only GQ model/environmentalist//party animal/banker I have ever known. A truly multi-faceted person. He loved his life and he lived it to the fullest. We can all learn something from him. He himself said death was inevitable and that is how he lived it. If you can hear me Neeraj, I want you to know that I'm upset with you for leaving us this soon, but I love you so much, and I will never forget all of our memories. You have left imprints on everyone you met and we will all cherish them forever. Thank you for letting me be your sister and so close to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home