Sunday, October 29, 2006

Tribute from Ajay Wagle (Kodai Classmate)

Neeraj Desai. No one did it better. 'It' being everything from
blistering social commentaries to the most inappropriate knock knock
jokes. Intelligent. Bold. Hilarious. He could greet antagonism
with a smile and then somehow transform it into admiration. The U.S.
military may have developed shock and awe tactics, but Neeraj
perfected them. It may not be as obvious as being able to fly or
X-ray vision, but a superpower he had. Through laughter, he made
people listen. While growing up I would occasionally (i.e. more
frequently than I would admit) wrap a towel around my neck pretending
it was a cape. Of course then I would be able to fly. I felt a
superhero incapable of flying couldn't possibly save the world. And
then one day I would meet Neeraj in a random corridor of K.I.S. This
would continue for the next four years. Brief encounters leaving me
quietly amused and unknowingly snared with a deep respect. As
unassuming a superhero as any, there was no cape to be seen. A decade
later, I've since retired my towel. In this world marred by sorrow
and uncertainty and anger, leaping tall buildings in a single bound
doesn't count for much. What the world needs is love, humor, and
understanding. And maybe an inappropriate knock knock joke or two.
It's practically begging for Neeraj Desai. No one did it better.

I'm proud to have known Neeraj and his Neeraj-osity. People who
haven't had that privledge are missing out on one of life's unexpected
bonuses. Fortunately for those unlucky few, his tribute blog is
fantastic. Through the teary eyes and quivering lips, you can't help
but smile when you remember him. As far as legacies go, I can't think
of any better. For Neeraj and his loved ones I pray and hope that the
smiles continue.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home